The Merge: 2021 Goals
The Network is a passionate and determined group of monthly givers on a mission to bridge the digital divide in our lifetime. People like you from different corners of the world, giving anything they can to prove how unstoppable we are when we work together.
We're Joining a Code For Good Summit
We are co-hosting a summit called Code for Good on February 7th-11th, 2021 with Code Your Dreams, a nonprofit teaching kids to code. The kick-off event will be in a 3D virtual environment called Gamerjibe.
Saturday, February 7th, 2PM - 4PM CT
CoderHeroes will lead a CoderYoga session for kids and a regular yoga session for adults.
Wednesday, February 10th, 6PM CT
Apple, Microsoft, Chicago Public Schools, MIT and Code Your Dreams host a panel: "The Future of Coding Education".
Thursday, February 11th, 6PM CT
TechLit Africa, Snap, GET Cities, JusticeText and Plasticity Project host a panel: "Using Technology to Build a Better World".
Introducing Computers in Uganda
We are also working with The Collective Effect, a nonprofit based in Uganda and Atlanta, to introduce kids in the Akenna Home to computers. The Akenna Home is a transitional home for 20 kids in Kampala, Uganda.
So far, we have sent one laptop, and are planning on sending more this year.
You can read more about The Collective Effect online, here.
Objectives for 2021
Coming back from Kenya in late 2019, we were excited to get back as soon as possible to build out our next ten computer labs, but covid has kept us in the States. This year, we have a few objectives for our time spent waiting for covid, and a few objectives for when we feel it is safe to continue our work in Kenya.
- Waiting for Covid
- We will ship one new parter lab every month. Our partners typically cover the cost of packing and shipping from our storage facility to their school or community center.
- After Covid
- We will build ten operating school computer labs before we leave Kenya (not including Zawadi Prep). This includes:
- hiring and training local teachers for each school and a local operations manager,
- finding local funding for employees and operations, and
- all labs hosting regular classes.
- We will pursue waivers to ship everything we have in storage.
- Regardless of Covid
- We will be better stewards by sending a newsletter every month.
- We will open-source our computer lab software.
If you would like to help with these goals, please reach out.
Show Your Support with TechLit Apparel
Cloztalk raises awareness for nonprofits. In our agreement with Cloztalk, they promise to donate a share of their profits.